Today there are 93 different accounting software for Shopify. We spent 74 hours comparing the top 50 to find the seven best you can use to keep books for your Shopify store.
What is the Best Accounting Software for Shopify?
Our Verdict — Best Of The BestPrice: Starts at $6.80/month
FreshBooks is a comprehensive accounting solution for Shopify stores. We think it’s the best because of its seamless integration with Shopify, advanced expense tracking, and automated invoicing features.
The Best Part:
Seamless Shopify integration. FreshBooks easily connects to your Shopify store to help you manage finances in real-time, without missing a single detail.
The Worst Part:
Limited lower-tier plans. FreshBooks’ Lite and Plus plans limit the number of billable clients you can have.
Get it if you want a user-friendly accounting solution to streamline accounting for your Shopify business.
I recommend you get the 30-day free trial, then sign up for the Premium plan at $22/month.
(30-day free trial)
FreshBooks is best for Shopify businesses that need a comprehensive accounting solution that integrates seamlessly with Shopify.
- Accountant access. Assign a dedicated login to your accountant and let them take the lead on your ecommerce finances.
- Real-time finance reporting. Quickly export financial statements such as cash flow statements, balance sheets, and income statements.
- Automated customer follow-ups. Set up automatic emails to go out to customers when there are missing order details, upcoming charges, new terms & conditions, and more.
- Smooth recurring payments. Simplify recurring payments by sending out automated invoices and follow-up emails each month.
- Spot-on time-tracking. Track the time spent by your accountant, employees, or contractors with FreshBooks' precise time-tracking features.
FreshBooks offers four pricing plans:
- Lite: $6.80/month for the first six months, then $17/month for starting Shopify businesses with basic financial accounting needs, for up to five customers.
- Plus: $12/month for the first six months, then $30/month for Shopify businesses that want a limited accounting solution with the option to add an accountant, for up to 50 customers.
- Premium: $22/month for the first six months, then $55/month for growing Shopify businesses that want a robust accounting solution to completely manage all aspects of their finances, for unlimited customers.
- Select: Custom pricing, for growing Shopify businesses with complex financial management needs that want a white-label accounting solution with a dedicated account manager and special features, for unlimited customers.
Annual plans provide a 10% discount.
Try FreshBooks today with a free 30-day trial.
Our Verdict — Best For SolopreneursPrice: Starts at $21/month
QuickBooks is a versatile accounting software with special pricing for Shopify businesses. We think it’s the best for solopreneurs because of its seamless integration with Shopify, automated transaction categorization, and time-saving automation features.
The Best Part:
Efficient expense tracking. QuickBooks allows you to seamlessly monitor software expenses and to snap pics of your receipt images into expenses with the mobile app.
The Worst Part:
Pricey advanced features. QuickBooks’ most powerful tools for Shopify businesses like inventory tracking start at $59.50 with the Plus plan.
Get it if you need a versatile accounting solution to stay on top of your ecommerce business finances and maximize your tax deductions.
I recommend you start with the Plus plan for $59.50/month.
(60-day money-back guarantee)
QuickBooks is best for solopreneurs who want to track income, expenses, and taxes in an efficient manner.
- Automated bank reconciliation. Reconcile your bank accounts with QuickBooks to keep your financial records in check and spot discrepancies before it’s too late.
- Powerful iOS & Android mobile app. Manage your Shopify finances on the go with QuickBooks’ powerful accounting app — send out invoices, upload receipts, and track expenses 24/7.
- Seamless inventory tracking. Keep an eye on your stock levels to reduce inventory waste and know when to re-order your store’s hottest items.
- Wide range of payment integrations. Connect your bank account, PayPal, credit cards, Square, and more, to sync all of your transactions under one roof.
- Massive digital knowledge base. There are a ton of resources, tutorials, and troubleshooting tips from QuickBooks users around the world.
QuickBooks offers four pricing plans:
- Simple Start: $21/month for the first year, then $30/month for Shopify businesses that need basic accounting features and seamless Shopify integration.
- Essentials: $38.50/month for the first year, then $55/month for Shopify businesses that need a complete accounting solution with additional features such as billing, automatic time tracking, and up to three integrations for online stores on Amazon, Shopify, and eBay, for up to three users.
- Plus: $59.50/month for the first year, then $85/month for Shopify businesses that need a robust accounting solution with powerful features such as inventory tracking, project profitability reporting, and unlimited sales channels, for up to five users.
- Advanced: $140/month for the first year, then $200/month for Shopify businesses that need a full-fledged accounting solution with advanced features such as batch invoices & expenses, workflow automation, and a dedicated account rep, for up to 25 users.
Try QuickBooks today with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
3. Zoho Books
Our Verdict — Best For Small BusinessesPrice: Starts at $20/month
Zoho Books is a straightforward accounting solution for small Shopify businesses. We think it’s the best for small Shopify businesses because of its seamless integration with Shopify, the whole Zoho ecosystem, and inventory tracking features.
The Best Part:
Seamless integration with other Zoho apps. In addition to Shopify, Zoho Books connects seamlessly with native Zoho products such as Zoho Inventory, Zoho Creator, and Zoho Payroll.
The Worst Part:
Scaling limitations. Zoho Books isn’t the best choice for small businesses with more complex accounting needs.
Get it if you want a straightforward accounting platform that can seamlessly streamline all of your ecommerce processes without breaking the bank.
I recommend you start with the 14-day free trial, then sign up for the Professional plan at $50/month.
(14-day free trial)
Zoho Books is best for small Shopify businesses that need a straightforward accounting tool that offers a great ecosystem to help manage businesses.
- Tax compliance. Effortlessly handle sales tax calculations, generate audit reports, and stay compliant with the IRS with Zoho’s tax management tools
- Multi-currency handling. Keep your books nice and tidy, even when you’re getting all types of currency from overseas customers.
- Robust expense tracking. Monitor store expenses such as software tools, warehousing costs, and shipping fees to keep an eye on your results.
- Seamless third-party tool integrations. Connect your favorite business tools such as Office 365, G Suite, and Stripe to streamline the rest of your workflows within Zoho Books.
- Powerful inventory control. Tackle your store’s inventory like a boss with user-friendly features for warehousing, serial number tracking, and batch tracking.
Zoho Books offers six pricing plans:
- Free: Free forever, for small businesses that need an accounting solution with basic features for client management, invoicing, and expense tracking.
- Standard: $20/month for small Shopify businesses that need a decent accounting solution with tools to manage recurring expenses, track project expenses, and synchronize bank and credit card feeds, for up to three users.
- Professional: $50/month for established small businesses that need a reliable accounting solution to manage retainer invoices, multi-currency transactions, and sales from multiple channels, for up to five users.
- Premium: $70/month for growing small businesses that need an advanced accounting solution for Shopify to manage budgeting, control inventory, and forecast cash flow, for up to 10 users.
- Elite: $150/month for growing small businesses that want a robust accounting solution for Shopify to handle complex inventory needs such as advanced multi-currency handling, warehousing, and serial number tracking.
- Ultimate: $275/month for growing small businesses that want the ultimate accounting solution for small businesses with state-of-the-art business intelligence analytics, real-time data reporting, and seamless data management for your Shopify store, for up to 15 users.
Annual plans provide up to a 25% discount.
Try Zoho Books today with a free 14-day trial.
Our Top Three Picks
Here’s a quick summary of our top three picks:
- FreshBooks — best of the best
- QuickBooks — best for solopreneurs
- Zoho Books — best for small businesses
Here’s a quick comparison of our top seven picks:
30-day free trial
Starts at $6.80/mo
60-day money-back guarantee
Starts at $21/mo
14-day free trial
Starts at $20/mo
30-day free trial
Starts at $24/mo
Starts at $155/mo
Free product tour
30-day free trial
Starts at $34.30/mo
Here are the top 50 accounting software for Shopify we considered in this review:
- QuickBooks Online
- Zoho Books
- Less Accounting
- Sage 50cloud
- Versa Cloud ERP
- Cin7 Omni
- Syft Analytics
- Gestionale sul Web
- Acumatica Cloud ERP
- Reckon One
- Priority Software
- Deskera Books
- MYOB Business
- Xentral Software
- Bind ERP
Can I do my accounting in Shopify?
Yes, you can manage your accounting in Shopify, but Shopify itself doesn't offer built-in accounting software. You can integrate various third-party accounting apps like FreshBooks, QuickBooks, and Zoho Books to streamline your accounting process.
What accounting software works well with Shopify?
FreshBooks is an online accounting software that works well with Shopify. It offers customizable invoice templates, expense management, online payments, and financial reporting. FreshBooks is ideal for small businesses and independent contractors due to its user-friendly interface and basic features.
QuickBooks Online is another accounting software option that integrates well with Shopify. It provides detailed financial reports, sales tax tracking, payment gateway options, and unlimited invoice creation. QuickBooks Online is suitable for small to larger businesses and offers various plans, including a basic plan with essential features and advanced plans for more complex needs.
Zoho Books is a cloud-based accounting software that can be connected to Shopify. It offers features like expense management, financial statements, project tracking, and tax reporting. Zoho Books is ideal for small to medium-sized businesses and provides various features for billable clients, expense claims, and sales tax compliance.
Does Shopify have its own accounting software?
Shopify doesn't have its own accounting software, but it supports seamless integration with various accounting software options to simplify the accounting process for business owners.
Is QuickBooks good for Shopify?
While using Shopify, you may not necessarily need an accountant, but it's recommended to have one for more accurate financial reporting, tax compliance, and maintaining your business's financial health. An accountant can also help with more complex financial transactions and provide guidance on key metrics.
Do you need an accountant on Shopify?
QuickBooks is indeed good for Shopify, as it offers seamless integration, customizable reports, and a comprehensive chart of accounts. It helps with sales tax tracking, payment processing, and reducing manual data entry by syncing financial transactions, unpaid invoices, and bank statements directly from Shopify. Additionally, QuickBooks Online allows unlimited users, making it suitable for businesses with multiple team members handling finances.
The Bottom Line
To recap, here are the best accounting software for Shopify to try this year: