Today there are 279 different construction estimating software. We spent 100 hours comparing the top 50 to find the seven best you can use to estimate your construction costs.
What is the Best Construction Estimating Software?
Our Verdict — Best Of The Best
Price: Starts at $149/month
Buildxact is a powerful cloud-based construction management solution for large contractors and building companies, at a competitive price that is affordable even for freelancers. We think it’s the best of the best because of how its workflow and integration capabilities make it for fast estimates, with accurate pricing.
The Best Part:
- It makes the complicated simple. Buildxact allows builders and contractors to use just this from the takeoff to the invoice. They claim to make the entire process 80% faster.
The Worst Part:
- It’s hard to integrate actual costs. Users report they usually end up integrating actual costs manually, which can take away from the quick experience otherwise provided by Buildxact.
Get it if you want the best all-in-one construction estimating solution for an amazing price.
I recommend you get the Pro plan for $249/month.
(14-day free trial)
Buildxact is best for anyone who wants to leverage the most powerful digital takeoffs and estimates.
- Ready. Set. Go. Buildxact claims it only requires two hours of lead time to get started using the product. After that initial stint, you’re ready to go.
- It saves an ungodly amount of time. Buildxact allows you to create accurate construction estimates at lightning speeds, for both your takeoffs and cost estimates, down to the smallest details.
- Real time pricing. Your Buildxact account connects you with dealer catalogs in real-time, for the right material pricing… every time.
- “I’ll go wherever you will go.” Even when you’re out in the field, as long as you have your mobile phone and an internet connection, you can check and update your project on the go.
- It shaves off the boring tasks. Create online templates of your most common projects and you’ll never get caught trying to remember if you’ve left any materials out.
Buildxact offers three pricing plans for builders and remodelers:
- Entry: $149/month for the builder starting off with digital takeoffs and estimates to speed up quotes.
- Pro: $249/month for a team of builders interested in scaling their business with end-to-end project management.
- Teams: $299/month for a growing team of builders interested in scaling their business using end-to-end project management
Try Buildxact today with a free 14-day trial.
Our Verdict — Best For Big Companies
Price: Custom pricing
ProEst is a construction estimating software that has been in business for over 40 years and is designed to be used by both subcontractors and contractors. We think it's the best for big companies because of how solid and trustworthy it is.
The Best Part:
- No matter how much you grow, It will scale with you. Need to add more users? Done. Opening up dozens of new locations? No problem. Need to add trade partners to work along with you? You’ve got it. With their unlimited annual pricing, no matter how much you scale, you’ll be taken care of.
The Worst Part:
- How much does it cost? ProEst keeps their pricing behind a wall, which may be a turn off for a lot of people. While we do know how much it costs, we won’t disclose it here, since they don’t disclose it themselves.
Get it if you only do business with the most traditional companies.
I recommend you book a free demo to learn how ProEst could help you.
ProEst is best for large corporations who want to do business with another big corporation.
- It comes from a solid provider. ProEst has been around since 1976, having worked with over 8,000 to craft one of the top products on the market.
- Build your own takeoff software. ProEst allows you to set up formula variables and algorithms so you can rate your assemblies. Customization overload!
- Extensive database. ProEst offers one of the largest built-in cost databases in the market, eliminating the need to track down every single individual cost.
- Built-in CRM. With ProEst’s customer relationship management tools,you can easily track client information and keep track of everything. So long, post-its.
- Relaxed bid day decisions. Take the stress out of bid day while you clearly see how subcontractor costs, margins, exclusions and other details compare.
ProEst hides its pricing plans. You need to book a call for pricing.
Try ProEst today with a free demo.
Our Verdict — Best For Residential Contractors
Price: Starts at $79/month
Clear Estimates is a cloud-based construction estimating software designed to provide quick and accurate estimates for residential contractors and remodelers. We think it’s best for them because it’s affordable yet powerful, and It has one of the cleanest interfaces of any estimating tool.
The Best Part:
- Perfect for a one-man-band. Clear Estimates is as intuitive and easy to use as it gets. Anyone can generate accurate estimates, proposals, and track projects with minimal effort.
The Worst Part:
- Doesn’t have as many third-party integrations. When compared to some of the most prominent competitors, Clear Estimates is a little below when it comes to integrations with other apps (like accounting and finances, for example).
Get it if you want an easy, simple solution that will buy you time, for about half of the price of the best option.
I recommend you get started on the Standard plan for $79/mo if you’re working on your own, or on the Pro plan for $119/mo, if you’ve got a team.
(30-day free trial)
Clear Estimates is best for residential contractors who want to be more efficient.
- It makes you look professional. Sweeten up your reports with your logo, name, address, and contact information, like the big companies do.
- 1, 2, done. It’s extra easy to create your estimates from any device — even if you're out in the field!
- Ready to use, out-of-the-box. Clear Estimates comes with 10,000+ instances of pre-loaded parts with descriptions, labor and material costs.
- It’s super flexible. You can create and edit parts as you wish, save your own templates, and even boilerplate language to expedite your work even more.
- It’s always accurate. Get access to your region-specific material and labor prices updated every 3 months, so you can be confident that your estimates are always the most accurate they can be.
Clear Estimates offers three pricing plans:
- Standard: $79/month for freelancers and service providers.
- Pro: $119/month for larger teams.
- Franchise: $249/month for companies that want to host everything on their own servers.
Annual plans provide a 20% discount.
Try Clear Estimates today with a 30-day free trial.
Our Top Three Picks
Here’s a quick summary of our top three picks:
- Buildxact — best of the best
- ProEst — best for big companies
- Clear Estimates — best for residential contractors
Here’s a quick comparison of our top seven picks:
14-day free trial
Starts at $149/mo
30-day free trial
Starts at $79/mo
14-day free trial
Here are the top 50 construction estimating tools we considered in this review:
- Clear Estimates
- Sage Estimating
- On-Screen Takeoff
- Bluebeam Estimating
- B2W Estimate
- Fast Estimate
- MC2 Estimating
- UDA Estimating
- Quick Bid
- Designer Plus
- Autodesk Quantity Takeoff
- E2E Solutions
- Autodesk Building Design Suite
- UDA Construction Suite
- National Estimator
- CCS Estimating
- Price Systems
- Global Cost Estimating System
- eTakeoff Dimension
- Earthwork Estimating Software
- Clear Estimates
- Autodesk Building Systems
- Visual Estimating
- Power Estimator
- Quick Bid Pro
- Autodesk MEP Fabrication Suite
- Construction Cost Estimator
What is construction estimating software?
Construction estimating software is a tool used by construction professionals to accurately estimate the cost of construction projects. It typically includes features such as detailed estimates, a wide range of labor costs, a construction cost database, professional proposals, quantity takeoff, square footage estimates, project management tools, credit card processing, and customer relationship management.
It can be used by contractors, subcontractors, electrical contractors, specialty contractors, and other construction business professionals. It’s a powerful tool that makes it easier to accurately estimate the cost of construction projects and make informed decisions about potential projects.
How do you estimate construction costs?
To estimate construction costs, you can use construction software or project management solutions, such as Buildxact, ProEst, or other cloud-based construction management solutions.
These solutions provide a centralized database with cost data, digital takeoffs, and proposal templates, allowing you to quickly develop quantity estimates and project bids. Manual processes and calculations are eliminated, saving you time and money.
Professional contractors and larger companies can benefit from construction accounting software, which can help with the takeoff process and provide accurate estimates.
With unlimited users and advanced features, these software solutions provide a huge time-saver for project managers and potential customers. By using cloud-based access, users can also easily add additional users and features to the software.
The Bottom Line
To recap, here are the best construction estimating software to try this year: