Today there are 89 different food manufacturing ERPs. We spent 71 hours comparing the top 50 to find the seven best you can use to streamline your food manufacturing processes.
What is the Best Food Manufacturing ERP?
Our Verdict — Best Of The BestPrice: Custom
NetSuite is a comprehensive cloud-based ERP solution for food manufacturers. We think it’s the best because of its real-time inventory tracking, end-to-end supply chain management, and robust quality control features.
The Best Part:
It’s very scalable. NetSuite easily adapts to your business’s growth and changing needs. You can customize your ERP dashboards, processes, and design as you expand your business.
The Worst Part:
Complex setup. NetSuite can be challenging and expensive to set up, requiring expert assistance to get it done right.
Get it if you want a scalable, all-in-one ERP solution to manage your food manufacturing processes efficiently.
I recommend you start with a free product tour to explore NetSuite’s features.
(free product tour)
NetSuite is best for food manufacturers who want a streamlined, comprehensive ERP solution to boost growth.
- Drag-and-drop scheduling. Arrange your food production schedules in real time with a drag-and-drop Gantt dashboard.
- Shop floor calendar. Boost productivity with a simplified calendar to set machinery schedules, re-schedule shifts, plan breaks and emergency leaves.
- Speedy quote management. Streamline your sales process with automatic pricing, sales tax, and discount management, to close deals faster.
- Smart inventory monitoring. Keep your stock levels on point with automatic restocking alerts, reordering forms, and real-time inventory dashboards.
- Asset lifecycle management. Take charge of your depreciating and non-depreciating assets to maintain quality and stay compliant with regulations.
NetSuite offers a single pricing plan:
Custom pricing: Custom monthly pricing, for food manufacturers who want an all-in-one ERP solution they can adapt to their business, with advanced inventory management, detailed traceability, and extensive quality control features.
Try NetSuite today with a free product tour.
2. Sage X3
Our Verdict — Best For Mid Sized BusinessesPrice: Custom
Sage X3 is a powerful ERP solution for food manufacturers. We think it’s the best for midsized food manufacturers because of its advanced compliance tracking, robust recipe management, and streamlined quality control.
The Best Part:
It excels in traceability. Sage X3 makes tracking raw materials to finished products a breeze, ensuring food safety, compliance, and quality.
The Worst Part:
Steep learning curve. Compared to alternatives, Sage X3 might be especially challenging for newcomers.
Get it if you want a top-notch ERP that’ll help you stay on top of food safety and quality standards throughout your manufacturing process.
I recommend you start with a free product tour to explore Sage X3’s capabilities for food manufacturing.
(free product tour)
Sage X3 is best for mid sized food manufacturers who want to streamline production processes without compromising quality.
- Allergen tracking made easy. Track manufactured products containing food allergens to keep customers safe and stay compliant with regulations.
- Tailored shelf life management. Keep a fresh stock of products with Sage’s streamlined expiration and use-by date tracking.
- Automated inspection and quarantine. Isolate low-quality ingredients and items with thorough packaging and production inspections.
- Detailed ingredient tracking and recalls. Keep tabs on ingredients and end items by plant, batch, or supplier, and automatically recall products when necessary.
- On-the-fly ecommerce synchronization. Wave goodbye to messy inventory, data, and orders with Sage’s built-in ecommerce store builder.
Sage X3 offers a single pricing plan:
Custom pricing: Custom yearly plans, for midsize food manufacturers who want a reliable cloud ERP to produce high-quality food and beverage and streamline production.
Try Sage X3 today with a free product tour.
Our Verdict — Best For Small BusinessesPrice: Starts at $129/month
Katana is an innovative ERP solution for food manufacturing businesses. We think it’s the best for small businesses because of its real-time stock tracking capabilities, seamless production scheduling, and shop floor management tools.
The Best Part:
Very easy to use. Katana offers a simplified experience to help manage your food manufacturing processes, giving you more time to focus on growth.
The Worst Part:
Not scale friendly. Katana is perfect for small businesses, but it’s not the best option for mid sized and large companies with complex needs.
Get it if you want an easy-to-use ERP solution to manage your food manufacturing processes, streamline your inventory management, and optimize production without breaking a sweat.
I recommend you sign up for a 14-day free trial, then grab the Advanced subscription for $3,599/year to get started.
(14-day free trial)
Katana is best for small food manufacturers who want a user-friendly ERP solution to streamline inventory and production processes.
- Batch and material traceability. Trace your materials and products to their origins, and recall them no matter where they are in your process.
- Barcode automation. Generate and assign batch barcodes for products to keep accurate inventory counts and locate products within seconds.
- Streamlined international transactions. Automate currency conversions for international sales orders to avoid under or overcharging customers.
- Sales performance analysis. Dive deep into actionable insights from Katana’s custom sales reports to pinpoint trends, risks, and opportunities.
- Contractor spying. Watch material usage, purchase order progress, and real-time inventory levels at suppliers’ and partners’ locations, straight from your ERP dashboard.
Katana offers four pricing plans:
- Essential: $129/month for startup food manufacturing businesses that want a basic ERP to streamline their production, for up to three warehouses and 500 monthly orders.
- Advanced: $349/month for small food manufacturing businesses that want a comprehensive ERP system to process sales, manage production, and automate repetitive tasks, for unlimited warehouses and up to 5,000 monthly orders.
- Professional: $799/month for small food manufacturers that want a robust ERP solution with all features in Advanced plus and priority support, for unlimited warehouses and up to 25,000 monthly orders.
- Enterprise: Custom pricing, for small food manufacturing businesses that want a custom food ERP plan to automate all processes and streamline production, for unlimited warehouses and orders.
Annual plans provide up to a 25% discount.
Try Katana today with a free 14-day trial.
Our Top Three Picks
Here’s a quick summary of our top three picks:
- NetSuite — best of the best
- Sage X3 — best for mid sized businesses
- Katana — best for small businesses
Here’s a quick comparison of our top seven picks:
Free product tour
Free product tour
14-day free trial
Starts at $129/mo
30-day free trial
14-day trial for $19.95
Starts at $995/yr
Here are the top 50 food manufacturing ERPs we considered in this review:
- Sage X3
- SAP S/4HANA
- Aptean Food & Beverage ERP
- Plex Smart
- SAP Business One
- Microsoft Dynamics Business Central
- SAP Business ByDesign
- IFS Applications
- Microsoft Dynamics 365
- Infor CloudSuite Industrial
- IFS 10.0
- Enterprise IQ
- Enterprise 21
- Oracle Fusion Cloud
- Ignition by TELUS
- Food Connex
- Masterplan ERP
- Visual Produce
- SI Foodware Fruits and Vegetables
- PBS Accounting
- JD Edwards EnterpriseOne
- MISys Manufacturing
- Kenandy Cloud ERP
- Opcenter Execution Process
- R4 Enterprise
What is ERP in food manufacturing?
ERP, or Enterprise Resource Planning, is a system used in food manufacturing to streamline and manage various aspects of the food business, including manufacturing operations management, production planning, and warehouse management.
Food ERP software helps food companies achieve efficient process manufacturing, maintain regulatory compliance, and ensure product quality. Based on our research, NetSuite is the #1 option most suitable for all types of food manufacturing businesses. It provides a customizable experience and enables you to tailor your ERP to fit your factory's needs and processes.
Which ERP software is used for the manufacturing industry?
Examples of ERP software in food manufacturing include NetSuite, Sage X3, Katana, and SAP S/4HANA. These three are our top four picks for food manufacturing businesses. NetSuite is a popular choice for businesses of all sizes, as it offers a wide range of functionalities and integrates seamlessly with various business processes. Sage X3 is a well-suited option for mid-sized businesses, offering features like accurate costs, quality assurance, and material requirements planning. Katana is ideal for small businesses, focusing on inventory management and production planning, while SAP S/4HANA is suitable for large enterprises, offering comprehensive tools for process manufacturing, human resources, and regulatory compliance.
What software is used in the food industry?
The food industry uses various types of software to manage different business aspects, ensuring efficiency, product quality, and regulatory compliance. Key software for the food industry include:
- ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) software — ERP systems, such as NetSuite, Sage X3, and Katana, help food companies manage their manufacturing operations, warehouse management, production planning, and financial management. These systems help streamline business processes, improve efficiency, and maintain regulatory compliance.
- CRM (Customer Relationship Management) software — CRM systems, like Salesforce and Microsoft Dynamics 365, allow food businesses to manage their interactions with customers and prospects. These tools track customer information, preferences, and order history, facilitating better customer service and targeted marketing efforts.
- Quality management software — Food companies use quality management systems, such as SafetyChain and TraceGains, to ensure product quality and safety. These tools help manage quality assurance processes, monitor compliance with food safety regulations, and track supplier performance.
- Inventory management software — Solutions like Fishbowl and DEAR Inventory help food businesses manage raw materials, finished goods, and warehouse operations. These tools help guarantee accurate inventory counts, optimize stock levels, and track expiration dates.
How to use ERP for manufacturing?
Using ERP for manufacturing involves integrating various business processes. The food and beverage industry faces unique challenges, such as managing expiration dates, maintaining quality assurance, and meeting the requirements set by regulatory bodies. ERP software helps food companies tackle these challenges by providing the necessary tools to solve these problems. Here are some best practices for using an ERP for manufacturing:
- Choose the right ERP software: Based on your business size and requirements, select an ERP solution that caters to your specific needs. Consider factors like ease of use, customization, scalability, and integration with other business tools. If you're in the food manufacturing space, we recommend NetSuite, Sage X3, or Katana.
- Implement the software: Work with a consultant or implementation partner to configure the ERP system to your business processes, ensuring that it covers all aspects of your food manufacturing operations, such as raw material management, production planning, warehouse management, and customer relationship management. This step is especially necessary if you use a comprehensive ERP like NetSuite.
- Train your team: Provide comprehensive training to your staff to familiarize them with the new software, ensuring a smooth transition and maximizing the benefits of the ERP system.
- Monitor and evaluate performance: Regularly review your ERP system's performance and make necessary adjustments to optimize its effectiveness in managing your food business operations.
- Continuously improve: Stay updated on the latest industry trends and best practices, and make any necessary updates to your ERP system.
What are the top 3 food manufacturing companies?
Based on annual sales and revenue, the top three food manufacturing companies are Pepsico, Inc., Nestle, and JBS.
The Bottom Line
To recap, here are the best food manufacturing ERPs to try this year: