Today there are 68 different telehealth platforms. We spent 56 hours comparing the top 50 to find the seven best you can use to consult with healthcare professionals without leaving the comfort of your home.
What is the Best Telehealth Platform?
Our Verdict — Best Of The BestPrice: $89/consultation
Personalabs is a reliable telehealth provider for patients who want a comprehensive platform for lab testing, prescriptions, and consultations. We think it’s the best because of its extensive lab testing options, hassle-free appointment scheduling, and affordable pricing.
The Best Part:
It’s incredibly convenient. Personalabs is an all-inclusive telehealth experience that allows you to arrange lab tests, prescriptions, and virtual consultations in one centralized platform.
The Worst Part:
No subscription plans. Personalabs doesn’t offer subscription plans, which could offer better value if you book frequent consultations.
Get it if you want an all-in-one telehealth platform to easily arrange lab tests, prescriptions, and virtual consultations from the comfort of your couch.
I recommend you start with a consultation for $89.
(book a consultation)
Personalabs is best for patients who need a reliable telemedicine platform that provides a wide range of healthcare services from diagnostics to treatment.
- User-friendly dashboard. Easily monitor your lab results, health reports, and telehealth appointments through Personalabs’ intuitive dashboard.
- No insurance required. Book prompt consultations from board-certified doctors without the need to pay for insurance coverage.
- Secure video consultations. Personalabs’ data security features keep your personal health information always protected.
- Tons of blood testing options. Choose from over 400 blood tests and get tested at nearby Personalabs partner locations.
- Personalized health assessments. Snap a selfie, fill out your body measurements, and get a recommendation of lab tests from Personalabs, to receive a 100% personalized health report.
Personalabs offers a single pricing plan:
Telemedicine consultations: $89 per visit, for patients who want to book virtual consultations with board-certified doctors for diagnosis, prescriptions, and health advice.
Try Personalabs today with a one-on-one telehealth consultation.
Our Verdict — Best For FamiliesPrice: Starts at $35/month
HealthSapiens is a family-friendly telehealth platform that offers affordable and round-the-clock access to doctors. We think it’s the best for families because of its affordable pricing, 24/7 doctor availability, and the fact you and your family are granted unlimited consultations.
The Best Part:
It’s incredibly affordable. HealthSapiens puts the “care” back in healthcare with its affordable, unlimited-visits monthly plans. Buh-bye insurance deductibles and per-visit fees.
The Worst Part:
It’s not a replacement for emergency care. HealthSapiens excels in non-emergency situations, but it can’t help with in-person emergencies.
Get it if you’re looking for a telemedicine platform with affordable pricing and 24/7 availability for your family.
I recommend you get the Household Plan for $35/month to cover yourself and up to five family members.
(book a consultation)
HealthSapiens is best for families who need affordable and unlimited virtual access to board-certified doctors.
- 24/7 doctor access. Connect with US licensed doctors no matter the time, to tackle any sniffles, coughs, or aches within no more than 15 minutes.
- Hassle-free prescriptions. HealthSapiens sends prescriptions directly to your local pharmacy to save you time and effort.
- It’s like an “all-you-can-treat” health buffet. Get medical care as often as you need without racking up extra costs, with HealthSapiens’ low priced monthly subscriptions.
- Tele counseling. Get your mind and emotions in shape with licensed therapists — available on the Telehealth Counseling Plan ($197/mo).
- No lock-in contracts. You’re free to cancel your subscription at any time, no questions asked, thanks to HealthSapiens’ no-contract policy.
HealthSapiens offers two pricing plans:
- Household Plan: $35/month for people who want unlimited access to U.S. doctors for themselves plus up to five family members, with 24/7 doctor availability, prescriptions sent directly to their pharmacy, and no per-visit fees.
- Telehealth Counseling Plan: $197/month for people who are seeking comprehensive, affordable mental counseling via text, voice, video, and even face-to-face.
Try HealthSapiens today with unlimited doctor consultations.
Our Verdict — Best For HospitalsPrice: Starts at $99/month
Storyline is a groundbreaking telemedicine platform designed for hospitals seeking to provide telehealth services. We think it’s the best for hospitals because of its advanced behavioral AI, workflow automations, and extensive clinical assessment library.
The Best Part:
Automated workflows. Storyline streamlines telehealth processes like appointment scheduling, medication refills, and billing, so you can focus on what truly matters — providing top-notch patient care.
The Worst Part:
Steep learning curve. Learning and implementing Storyline’s features may require some time and effort from your staff.
Get it if you want an AI-powered telemedicine platform to enable your hospital to offer personalized telehealth services for your patients.
I recommend you get started with the Free plan, then upgrade to the Team plan for $299/month.
Storyline is best for solo practitioners and hospitals that are looking to provide outstanding telemedicine services to their patients.
- Mobile ready. Improve customer experience by offering telehealth over iOS and Android, on top of desktop computers.
- Comprehensive assessment library. Access a vast collection of clinical assessment tools to improve your diagnosis accuracy, leading patients to the right treatments.
- E-signatures and documentation. Storyline allows you to reduce paperwork, start treatments faster, and keep it 100% compliant.
- Robust features. Get many efficient telemedicine functionalities such as patient check-in forms, built-in note-taking, and chat, to name a few.
- Hassle-free payments. Streamline payments for co-pays and waiting room access, and enable patients to easily pay for medical bills, recurring charges, and medical programs.
Storyline offers three pricing plans:
- Free: Free forever, for solo practitioners who need a basic telehealth platform to offer telemedicine for up to 200 active patients.
- Pro: $99/month for solo practitioners who need to invest in an advanced telehealth platform with advanced features, for 200 active patients or more.
- Team: $299/month for teams and hospitals that want to invest in a robust telehealth platform with advanced features, plus robust administration and collaboration tools, for 1,000 active patients or more.
Annual plans provide a 20% discount.
Try Storyline today with the free plan.
Our Top Three Picks
Here’s a quick summary of our top three picks:
Here’s a quick comparison of our top seven picks:
Starts at $35/mo
Starts at $99/mo
Starts at $14.99/mo
Starts at $82/consultation
Starts at $75/consultation
Starts at $19/consultation
Here are the top 50 telehealth platforms we considered in this review:
- Sesame Care
- Doctor on Demand
- LiveHealth Online
- Chiron Health
- Spruce Health
- CarePaths EHR
- Raintree Systems
- Doximity Dialer Video
- ScriptPro Telepharmacy
- CHARM Health
- OnCall Health
- AdvancedMD Telemedecine
- AMC Health
- American Well
What is the best telehealth device?
Medihill is a highly recommended telehealth device due to its effectiveness and ease of use.
It supports various telehealth platforms and allows healthcare providers to engage in secure messaging, video chats, and remote patient monitoring. Additionally, it is compatible with mobile devices and medical devices, making it an ideal choice for medical professionals to provide quality care to their patients.
How do I choose a telehealth platform?
When choosing a telehealth platform, consider the following five factors:
- Compatibility with your medical practice, whether it's a private practice, urgent care, or mental health practice.
- Key features such as appointment scheduling, secure messaging, video quality, and remote patient monitoring.
- HIPAA-compliant telehealth platforms that ensure the security and privacy of patient records and communications.
- Additional features like online payment options, appointment reminders, and online forms that streamline patient interactions.
- Reviews and recommendations from other medical professionals and patients.
What platforms are approved for telehealth?
Approved telehealth platforms include Personalabs, HealthSapiens, and Storyline. Each platform caters to different needs:
- Personalabs is best for patients seeking a comprehensive telehealth experience, including lab testing, prescriptions, and consultations.
- HealthSapiens is best for families, offering affordable and round-the-clock access to doctors with unlimited consultations.
- Storyline is best for hospitals, leveraging advanced behavioral AI, workflow automations, and an extensive clinical assessment library.
Who is Teladoc's biggest competitor?
Teladoc's biggest competitors include Personalabs, Sesame Care, MDLive, and HealthSapiens. Each offers unique services and features that cater to different patient needs and preferences, making them strong contenders in the telehealth market.
Is Zoom HIPAA compliant?
Yes, Zoom can be HIPAA compliant if used with the appropriate settings and configurations. Zoom offers a specific Healthcare plan that complies with HIPAA regulations - Zoom for Healthcare. This plan includes features like encrypted video calls, secure messaging, and file sharing while ensuring that patient privacy and information security are maintained.
Can I use Zoom for telehealth?
Yes, you can use Zoom for telehealth if you have a Zoom for Healthcare plan. This plan is designed to be HIPAA compliant, ensuring that patient privacy and information security are maintained during telehealth visits. Zoom for Healthcare offers features such as secure video calls, screen sharing, and file sharing, making it a suitable choice for medical professionals to conduct telehealth sessions and communicate with patients effectively.
What is the most used telehealth platform?
Among Personalabs, HealthSapiens, Umedoc, and Teladoc, Teladoc is the most used telehealth platform. It is known for its best user experience, which attracts a large number of patients and medical professionals. Teladoc provides a wide range of healthcare services, including urgent care, mental health services, and sexual health consultations. It offers secure video chats, appointment scheduling, and easy access to medical professionals for consultations and treatment plans.
What is the average cost of a telehealth platform?
The average cost of a telehealth platform varies depending on the features offered, target audience, and pricing model. Some platforms like Personalabs provide a flat fee per consultation ($89), while others such as HealthSapiens offer subscription-based pricing with various tiers (starting at $35/month). The cost can range from free for basic plans to several hundred dollars per month for advanced plans with more features.
What are the 4 types of telehealth?
Telehealth can be broadly categorized into four types:
- Live video conferencing (Synchronous): Real-time, two-way interaction between a patient and a healthcare provider using audiovisual technology. This type of telehealth is commonly used for consultations, diagnoses, and treatment plans.
- Store-and-forward (Asynchronous): Transmission of recorded health information, such as medical images, videos, or patient records, to a healthcare provider for evaluation. This method is commonly used in specialties like radiology, dermatology, and pathology.
- Remote patient monitoring (RPM): Collection and transmission of a patient's health data from their location to a healthcare provider for assessment and recommendations. RPM is often used for managing chronic conditions, post-surgical care, and elderly care.
- Mobile health (mHealth): The use of mobile devices, such as smartphones and tablets, to support medical care, patient education, and health tracking. mHealth apps can include medication reminders, wellness tracking, and telehealth services.
What apps are used for telehealth?
Numerous apps are used for telehealth, depending on the needs and preferences of patients and healthcare providers. Some popular telehealth apps include:
- Personalabs: A comprehensive telehealth platform for lab testing, prescriptions, and consultations.
- HealthSapiens: A family-friendly telehealth platform offering affordable and round-the-clock access to doctors with unlimited consultations.
- MDLive: A platform specializing in therapy and mental health services.
- Sesame Care: Ideal for one-time consultations, offering affordable and transparent pricing for various medical services.
- Teladoc: Known for its best user experience, Teladoc provides a wide range of healthcare services, including urgent care, mental health services, and sexual health consultations.
The Bottom Line
To recap, here are the best telehealth platforms software to try this year: