Today there are 82 different construction ERPs. We spent 107 hours comparing the top 50 to find the seven best you can use to streamline your construction firm’s processes.
What is the Best Construction ERP?
1. Sage Intacct
Our Verdict — Best Of The BestPrice: Custom
Sage Intacct is a cutting-edge financial management ERP built for general contractors and developers. We think it’s the best because of its real-time project tracking capabilities, construction specific accounting features, and powerful automation.
The Best Part:
Best-in-class dashboards. Sage Intacct helps you track and analyze in-field performance with detailed data charts to fuel your business decisions.
The Worst Part:
Limited functionality for larger construction companies. Sage Intacct may not be the best option for large construction firms with complex needs.
Get it if you want a cloud-based construction ERP to streamline your financial management, project tracking, and operations.
I recommend you get started with Sage Intacct’s free demo.
Sage Intacct is best for construction businesses, general contractors, and developers who want to streamline their finances and project management.
- Be on top of expenses. Set automatic budget and transaction limits for your project expenses and purchases.
- Crystal-clear visibility. Get actionable insights into your financial, operational, and sales metrics to make informed decisions.
- Clean as a whistle. Stay compliant with the latest accounting standards with Sage’s comprehensive bookkeeping and revenue recognition tools.
- Master inventory. Balance materials between projects and locations like a pro to avoid nasty surprises and meet every deadline.
- Advanced construction payroll management. Pay the right rates for jobs and keep track of your labor costs with Sage’s complex payroll calculation tools.
Sage Intacct offers a single pricing plan:
Custom pricing: Yearly plan, for construction businesses, contractors, and developers who want a cloud-based ERP to seamlessly manage project spending, inventory, and finances.
Try Sage Intacct today with a free demo.
Our Verdict — Best For Growing Construction FirmsPrice: Custom
NetSuite is an innovative ERP solution designed to adapt to growing construction businesses’ needs. We think it’s the best for growing construction firms because of its scalability, supply chain management tools, and forecasting capabilities.
The Best Part:
Extremely scalable. NetSuite is built to adapt to ever-changing needs as you scale your team and operation.
The Worst Part:
Pricey initial cost. NetSuite can be an expensive option for smaller construction firms with limited budgets.
Get it if you want a scalable construction ERP to manage your projects and grow your business.
I recommend you start with a free product tour to explore NetSuite’s features.
(free product tour)
NetSuite is best for growing construction firms who want a comprehensive, scalable solution to manage projects and grow.
- Teamwork makes the dream work. Collaborate with teammates in real-time through NetSuite to keep everyone always in sync.
- Learn from mistakes. Record project issues and organize a complete resolution process with descriptions, severity levels, dates, and action plans.
- State-of-the-art dashboards. Get a 360-degree view of your construction projects with Gantt charts, project profitability, and many other key metrics.
- Built-in CRM system. Manage your clients and link them to specific construction projects, then collaborate on tasks in real time, to build lasting business relationships.
- Swift budgeting. Keep track of each project’s expenses to get a full-view of the economics, including precise project profitability forecasts.
NetSuite offers a single pricing plan:
Custom pricing: Monthly plan, for growing construction firms and developers who want a tailored, all-in-one ERP solution to effectively manage projects and streamline processes.
Try NetSuite today with a free product tour.
Our Verdict — Best For Mid Sized Construction FirmsPrice: Custom
Acumatica is a user-friendly ERP solution that helps construction companies stay organized. We think it’s the best for mid sized construction firms because of its consumption-based pricing, user-friendly interface, and real-time project management capabilities.
The Best Part:
Consumption-based pricing. Acumatica offers unlimited user seats for all plans and charges based on the features you use, enabling you to add unlimited staff free of charge
The Worst Part:
Steep learning curve. Acumatica requires some time and effort to master, especially for those unfamiliar with any other construction ERPs.
Get it if you want a usage-based ERP to manage your construction projects without user limits.
I recommend you start with the free demo.
Acumatica is best for mid sized construction firms that want an end-to-end ERP solution to streamline project management without breaking the bank.
- Skip the guesswork. Get a clear, real-time overview of job expenses, costs, and completion percentages of each project and task.
- Swift field reporting. Get dedicated tools for reporting on-site visitors, weather conditions, change management, and whatever else’s on the field.
- Pocket-sized wizardry. Track progress and log project times, project issues, and change requests using Acumatica’s sleek mobile app.
- One-stop billing solution. Charge clients with smart billing options based on job progress, time spent, linear footage, square footage, materials, and more.
- Compliance made easy. Manage lien waivers, insurance, and expirations seamlessly while you keep staff and suppliers on the loop in real time.
Acumatica offers a single pricing plan:
Custom pricing: Yearly plan, for mid sized construction firms that want an end-to-end ERP for staff and management to monitor and work on projects in real time.
Try Acumatica today with a free demo.
Our Top Three Picks
Here’s a quick summary of our top three picks:
- Sage Intacct — best of the best
- NetSuite — best for growing construction firms
- Acumatica — best for mid sized construction firms
Here’s a quick comparison of our top seven picks:
Free product tour
Vista by Viewpoint
Here are the top 50 construction ERPs we considered in this review:
- Sage Intacct Construction
- Vista by Viewpoint
- Infor CloudSuite
- Microsoft Dynamics 365
- Contractor Foreman
- SAP S/4 HANA
- Oracle ERP Cloud
- Computer Guidance Corporation
- Houzz Pro
- PlanGrid Build
- Custom Homebuilder's Solutions
- Pantera Tools
- Jonas Enterprise
- UDA ConstructionSuite
- JT Construct
- Tally.ERP 9
- Horizon ERP
- PACT ERP
- Infor LN
- Marg ERP
- QuickBooks for Construction
- Construction Accounting by ComputerEase
Which ERP is the best for construction?
The construction industry constantly evolves, and as projects become more complex, the need for effective construction management software has never been greater. Enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems have emerged as a popular solution for construction companies looking to streamline operations, improve efficiency, and gain real-time project visibility.
The best ERP system for construction based on our research is Sage Intacct, known for its comprehensive, all-in-one solution that solves a wide range of construction-specific problems.
Do construction companies use ERPs?
Construction companies of all sizes, from specialty contractors to commercial contractors and construction managers, use ERP systems like Sage Intacct, NetSuite, and Acumatica to manage their projects.
These software solutions offer a variety of construction management tools, such as project management, time tracking, job cost accounting, equipment tracking, bid management, and more. These systems are essential for construction companies, as they help provide accurate estimates, manage resources efficiently, and maintain a clear audit trail throughout the construction process.
What is an ERP in the construction industry?
In the construction industry, an ERP system like Sage Intacct is a comprehensive software solution that integrates various aspects of a company's operations, such as project management, accounting, resource allocation, and financial management.
Using cloud-based solutions, these ERP systems provide complete visibility into a company's projects, allowing project managers to make informed decisions, manage cash flow, and optimize revenue recognition. This is particularly important for larger companies with multiple ongoing projects, where effective management is critical.
Which ERP is the world leader?
While SAP is the world leader in ERP systems in general, the construction industry has several top players, including Sage Intacct, Acumatica, Procore, and NetSuite. Each of these ERP systems offers a unique combination of features tailored to meet the specific needs of construction companies.
For example, Sage Intacct is known for its strong financial management tools, while Procore is praised for its robust construction management features. Acumatica and NetSuite also offer comprehensive solutions that cater to the diverse needs of construction firms.
What is the most commonly used ERP?
In the construction sector, Sage Intacct, Acumatica, Procore, and NetSuite are among the most widely used solutions. In other industries, other ERPs such as SAP, Infor, and Microsoft 365 are worth considering as top popular options.
Which ERP is used most in SAP?
In the SAP ecosystem, SAP S/4HANA is the most commonly used ERP system. It offers advanced capabilities and is designed to support the unique challenges faced by businesses of all sizes and industries.
However, while SAP S/4HANA is a popular choice in many sectors, construction companies tend to gravitate towards ERP systems tailored to their industry, such as Sage Intacct, Acumatica, Procore, and NetSuite. SAP S/4HANA is, however, still a viable option for construction, except that it may take time to implement and set up properly to manage your operations.
What is construction ERP software?
Construction ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) software comprises comprehensive solutions designed specifically for the construction industry. This type of software aims to streamline and centralize business processes, providing accurate estimates, real-time visibility, and project management tools to manage various aspects of construction projects.
What is the best ERP for construction companies?
The best ERP for construction companies depends on the specific needs and goals of each company. Here are our top picks for construction ERP solutions, each offering unique benefits to cater to different requirements:
- Sage Intacct — Best of the Best: Sage Intacct is a comprehensive cloud-based construction ERP software that offers a wide range of features, including construction management, accounting, and real-time visibility.
- NetSuite — Best for Growing Construction Firms: NetSuite is a scalable cloud-based ERP solution ideal for growing construction companies. It offers project management tools, accurate estimates, and equipment management capabilities to help businesses streamline operations and adapt to increasing demands.
- Acumatica — Best for Midsized Construction Firms: Acumatica is a versatile and customizable ERP solution for mid sized construction firms. Acumatica helps construction companies improve efficiency and reduce additional costs.
- Procore — Best for Small Construction Firms: Procore is a user-friendly construction management software tailored for small businesses. It offers real-time visibility, project management tools, and seamless integrations with construction accounting software like QuickBooks Online.
- Vista by Viewpoint — Best for Accounting: Vista by Viewpoint is a construction ERP solution with a strong focus on accounting. It provides in-depth financial reporting and analysis, helping companies maintain accurate records and make informed decisions.
- Epicor — Best On-Premise ERP: Epicor is an on-premise ERP solution that offers comprehensive features for construction companies. It is suitable for businesses that prefer an on-site software installation.
- Deltek — Best for Government Contractors: Deltek Costpoint is a construction ERP software designed specifically for government contractors. It offers features such as compliance management, project tracking, and accurate estimates to help businesses navigate the complex requirements of government contracts.
The Bottom Line
To recap, here are the best construction ERPs to try this year: