Today there are 62 different check printing software. We spent 155 hours comparing the top 50 to find the seven best you can use to eliminate the stress of servicing physical payments.
What is the Best Check Printing Software?
Our Verdict — Best Of The BestPrice: Starts at $14.99/month
Checkeeper is an amazing cloud-based online check printing software. We think it’s the best because of its unlimited pricing plan, powerful integrations, and highly dedicated support.
The Best Part:
Straightforward pricing. Pay a fixed $14.99/mo for unlimited check prints from day one.
The Worst Part:
It has no dedicated enterprise plans. Checkeeper may not have the best options for enterprises and very large businesses looking for a more complex check printing software tool.
Get it if you want a straightforward and efficient tool to print checks online.
I recommend you sign up for the free 14-day trial and connect your accounting workflow to the software, then get the unlimited plan at $14.99/mo to start printing your checks.
(14-day free trial)
Checkeeper is best for individuals and businesses that want to outsource their check printing set-up.
- Integrations with top accounting tools. Connect tools such as Xero, QuickBooks, and FreshBooks with just a few clicks.
- Multiple bank account management. Add more than just one account in a single registry to enjoy an all-in-one printing solution.
- Batch printing. Print multiple checks at once and save loads of time and effort.
- Simplified pricing plan. Get unlimited check prints with the monthly $14.99/mo subscription without incurring any extra expenses.
- Powerful check management and search. Quickly find and select the checks to print with just a few clicks.
Checkeeper offers one pricing plan:
Unlimited Access: $14.99/mo for individuals and businesses who want to print unlimited checks and templates.
Try Checkeeper today with a free 14-day trial.
Our Verdict — Best For Big BusinessesPrice: Starts at $49.99/month
Online Check Writer is a spectacular web check printing software. We think it’s the best for big businesses because of its dedicated enterprise features, security, and instant 24/7 support.
The Best Part:
Built-in security features. Prevent fraud and unauthorized access to sensitive information and checking data.
The Worst Part:
Difficult to navigate at first. A demo and onboarding may be necessary in order to figure out all of Online Check Writer's features at first.
Get it if you want an efficient enterprise solution for managing and printing checks.
I recommend you book a sales demo through the website, then upgrade to the most suitable plan, starting at $49.99/mo.
(60-day money-back guarantee)
Online Check Writer is best for big businesses that want a reliable check printing software tool.
- $5 ACH fee cap. Pay only up to $5 per check after the deduction of your fee percentage.
- Payment management features. Accept and receive payments over the phone, fax, or email via Online Check Writer software.
- Custom card generation. Pay third parties securely using manually generated virtual and physical credit cards.
- Integration with almost every bank. Connect multiple accounts from over 22000+ financial institutions and banks in the USA and Canada.
- All-in-one payroll management. Add or select employees and set payroll details for each one, to print all of your checks.
Online Check Writer offers four pricing plans:
- Pay as You Need: $0/month with a $30 initial charge for individuals and new users, with an ACH fee of 1.00% of eachcheck.
- Business: $49.99/month for businesses, with an ACH charge of 0.69% of every check.
- Premium: $499.99/month for big businesses, with an ACH charge of 0.19% per check.
- Enterprise Custom: $999/month for enterprises with an ACH charge of 0.09%
Try Online Check Writer today with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
Our Verdict — Best For Individuals and Small BusinessesPrice: Starts at $59.95
CheckBuilderPro is a downloadable PC and Mac check printing program. We think it’s the best for individuals and small businesses because of its affordable lifetime pricing.
The Best Part:
One-time download payment. Pay once in a lifetime and print unlimited checks with no hidden or recurring fees.
The Worst Part:
It doesn't integrate with accounting tools. You can't connect CheckBuilderPro with accounting software or other tools like QuickBooks.
Get it if you want to streamline your check printing for your small business or personal use.
I recommend you download the demo version to test the software, then take advantage of the bundle offer for a $69.95 one-time fee.
(free demo version)
CheckBuilderPro is best for individual and small business owners who want a simple check printing program.
- Use unlimited accounts. Connect as many bank accounts as you need at no extra cost.
- Reporting features. Export comprehensive summary reports for your activity on the software.
- Check customization options. Print custom checks with your own logos, signatures, fonts, and more.
- No subscription or regular fees. Pay a one-time download fee and print checks for free, forever.
- Batch printing add-on. Print checks in batches from your spreadsheet data in a matter of seconds.
CheckBuilderPro offers two pricing plans:
- CheckBuilderPro: $59.95 for individuals who want to print personal checks at a low volume.
- CheckBuilderPro + BatchBuilder Bundle: $69.95 for individuals and small businesses who want to batch-print personal and business checks.
Try CheckBuilderPro today with the demo version.
Our Top Three Picks
Here’s a quick summary of our top three picks:
- Checkeeper — best of the best
- Online Check Writer — best for big businesses
- CheckBuilderPro — best for individuals and small businesses
Here’s a quick comparison of our top seven picks:
14-day free trial
Starts at $14.99/mo
Online Check Writer
$0/mo plan with a $30 initial fee
Starts at $49.99/mo
Starts at $59.95
Print Checks Pro
Starts at $29.99
Starts at $49
Starts at $499/mo
Here are the top 50 check printing software solutions tools we considered in this review:
- Online Check Writer
- Print Checks Pro
- Check Writer III+
- VersaCheck X1 Silver
- PostGrid Check Print & Mail Automation Software
- Free CPP
- Cheque Printing
- Cheque Print
- Check Print R+
- Adobe Illustrator
- Just Checking
- Deluxe Payment Exchange
- AccountEdge Pro
- Paystation's CPE Cloud
- CheckPartner Enterprise
- Payroll PRO
- NetSuite Applications Suite
- Zoho Books
- Harland Clarke
- CheckMark Payroll Software
- Instant Check
Is there a program to print checks?
Yes, there are in fact many programs available to print checks. About 62, as per our research. These programs include Print Checks Pro, which is software that allows you to print checks on blank paper or pre-printed checks with customizable check layouts and background images.
You can use regular printers for printing checks, or specialized MICR printers that can print magnetic ink characters required for bank processing.
You can also print checks on blank check stock papers, which can buy at nearby office supply stores. This is a cost-effective way to print checks as it eliminates the need for pre-printed checks.
However, you'll need to be careful and ensure that the blank check paper you use is compatible with your printer and meets the standards set by your bank.
Do you need a special program to print checks?
Yes, you'll want to use programs similar to Checkeeper and CheckBuilderPro to print checks with the least effort possible.
Apart from printing checks, these programs can also help you manage your finances by generating custom and financial reports, check registers, and deposit slips. They'll also save you time and transaction fees with services like check mailing and direct deposit facilitation.
While there are different types of checks available (i.e. payroll checks, digital checks, and secure checks), using a program to print checks can help you streamline your payment processes, reduce errors, and save costs.
However, you need to ensure that you follow the necessary security protocols and regulations set by your bank when printing checks to avoid fraud and legal issues.
Does Microsoft Office have a check writing program?
Microsoft Office does not have a built-in check writing program. However, Microsoft Word can be used to create and print checks. You can create a check template by inserting the necessary fields such as the payee's name, the amount, and the date, and then save it as a reusable template.
To print the check, you can either use pre-printed checks or blank check paper, which can be purchased at office supply stores.
Alternatively, you can use add-ins or third-party software programs, such as Print Checks Pro, to facilitate check printing within Microsoft Word or Excel. These programs provide more advanced features and check customization options than creating a check template in Word.
It's worth noting that printing checks require extra care to ensure that they meet the required banking standards and avoid fraud. Always consult your bank for any specific requirements and regulations when printing checks, especially if you are using blank check paper.
Can I print my own check on my computer?
Yes, you can print your own checks on your computer using either pre-printed checks or blank check paper using specialized programs like Online Check Writer and Cheque Print.
You can buy blank check paper in bulk at office supply stores or use pre-printed checks, though the former option is usually cheaper. As long as the paper you buy meets the minimum requirements set by your bank or financial institution, you'll be good to go.
It's best practice to always use secure software and ensure that you are not exposing any sensitive information to third parties.
What type of printer is used to print checks?
To print checks, you should use a printer that can reliably print on blank check paper with high precision. This could be an inkjet, laserjet, or even an offset printer. If you want your check to be printed with MICR for ease of processing and to avoid any issues with banks, you'll want to buy a MICR printer (Magnetic Ink Character Recognition) with MICR font and toner.
There are many software programs available that offer customizable check templates, such as Checkkeeper or OnlineCheckWriter. These software tools or third-party printing services allow you to create, print, and mail checks without owning the necessary equipment yourself.
It is important to note that printing your own checks requires attention to detail and compliance with banking regulations. If you choose to create your own checks, be sure to follow the necessary security measures to prevent fraud and contact your bank for any requirements.
Does QuickBooks let you write checks?
Yes, you can use QuickBooks to write checks. You can use QuickBooks Desktop to go to the Banking menu, then selecting Write Checks and filling out the required details (bank account, ending balance, payee name, no., date, amount, address, memo, and expenses).
The Bottom Line
To recap, here are the best check printing software solutions to try this year: