7 Best Deepfake Software Apps of 2023 (50 Tools Reviewed)
Last Updated on January 18th, 2023 by Chris Von Wilpert
Today there are 82 different deepfake software apps to create face swap videos and images with. We spent 100 hours comparing the top 50 to find the seven best you can use to create deepfake videos and images that mimic real people in a few clicks.
What are the Best Deepfake Software Apps?
Our Verdict — Best Of The Best
Price: Starts at $9.99/month
DeepSwap creates convincing, realistic deepfakes, quick and easy. You can reface videos, pictures, and pretty much all types of images, including GIFs.
The Best Part:
- Fast and furious. DeepSwap creates high-quality deepfakes that are pretty close to what usually is only achievable with unfriendly dev-oriented tools, such as DeepFace Lab. And since it's a web-based software, you won't even need to buy an expensive graphics card!
The Worst Part:
- The credit based system is a little annoying. You get 20 credits per month, and each credit allows you to upload 15 seconds worth of video or gifs. You can swap faces at will, but you'll have limited uploads every month.
Get it if you want convincing deepfakes, without spending hours fidgeting with the software.
I recommend you get started with the $9.99/mo plan that comes with unlimited swaps, unlimited photo uploads, and no watermark.
DeepSwap is best for anyone who wants to create convincing deepfake videos and images, without having to go through hours and hours worth of a learning curve.
- It’s fast, and it’s good. DeepSwap is an advanced tool that only takes a few seconds to a few minutes before it spits out quality deepfakes that would only be achievable with expensive, advanced deepfake apps. DeepSwap is user-friendly even for those who have never used deepfake software before.
- Swap up to 6 faces in a single video. Deepswap's artificial intelligence can identify and swap up to 6 faces in a single video, while many competitors can only do one or two at a time.
- Unlimited swaps. Although DeepSwap’s video uploads are quite limited, you can upload as many photos as you want. Once you’ve uploaded a video, a photo, or a gif, you can do as many deepfake images and videos as you want.
- Multiple formats. DeepSwap allows you to swap faces on videos, GIFs, photos, cartoons, and more.
- Big discount for annual subscription. You get a 60% discount when you decide to stick with DeepSwap for an entire year. If you intend to create a lot of videos, then this plan will save you a lot of money.
DeepSwap offers two pricing plans:
- 1 month: $9.99/month.
- 12 months: $49.99/year for the first year, then 99.99/year.
Try DeepSwap today with unlimited swaps.
Our Verdict — Best Bang For The Buck
Price: Starts at $47
FaceSwap allows anyone to swap human, animated, and even toon faces in any video or image. Great value for a low, one time price.
The Best Part:
One time fee. Pay it once, use it for life. Best deal out of all of the face swap apps out there.
The Worst Part:
Brace yourself for a ton of upsell offers. Since this product is sold on a fixed, one-time fee, the owners will try to squeeze every penny they can out of every new client. Just be sure you choose the upgrades that really make sense for you, and ignore the ones that don’t.
Get it if you want to create deepfakes without the monthly bill.
I recommend you get started on the Commercial plan ($54 one time, with the coupon) and get the upgrades that make sense for you.
(30 day money-back guarantee)
FaceSwap is best for people and companies looking to explore deepfake technology without having to pay a monthly bill.
- One time pricing, lifetime access. Pay it once, use it forever.
- Unlimited content potential. You can change faces on any human, animation, and cartoon, in any given source video or image. Couple that with an almost endless library of faces, and your own custom faces, and the sky's the limit.
- Turn a profit. You can resell any content you create and keep 100% of the profit. You could offer these to your existing clients, or even start a brand new business with FaceSwap (needs the Commercial license, for $54 with the FSLIVE coupon).
- Create longer videos. When you upgrade to the Enterprise plan, you can create up to 3 minute-long videos, in Full HD quality. Compare that to the industry standard of 15-30 seconds per video and you’ll see the value.
- Go wild with unlimited videos. If the credit system is not enough, and you don’t want to wait for the next month to start in order to get creative with your deepfakes again, you can upgrade to the Agency or HSS Unlimited plans, and get unlimited credits, to create unlimited videos. Dynamite.
FaceSwap offers two front-end pricing options, with a few upgrade options:
- Personal Plan: $47 one time.
- Commercial Plan: $90 one time ($54 when you use the FSLIVE coupon).
- Upgrade #1: FaceSwap Pro: Pay an extra $67 to be able to upload unlimited faces and unlock premium stock media.
- Upgrade #2: FaceSwap Pro: Pay an extra $67 to unlock 3-minute videos, Full HD resolution and multi-face swapping.
- Upgrade #3: FaceSwap Pro: Pay an extra $297 to get 5 sub-accounts, all with unlimited credits.
- Upgrade #4: Human Synthesys Studio: $47/Month or $297/year for human voice synthesization capabilities (upgrades #1 and #2 are included).
All paid plans have a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Try FaceSwap today for a one-time fee.
Our Verdict — Best For People With Websites
Price: Starts at $57 one time
TalkingFaces helps you create “humatars” — including ones with your face!
It uses real humans, real human voices, and text-to-speech software to create high quality, real-looking spokespeople which say whatever you type. You can then overlay your virtual spokesperson on pretty much any website.
The Best Part:
One time fee. You pay for your access and upgrades once, then you’re set for life. You can even buy the commercial license to sell humatars to clients.
The Worst Part:
It’s a little limited. If you don’t get the Enterprise upgrade, you’ll only be able to create videos with up to 1,000 characters.
Get it if you want to recreate yourself virtually on any webpage.
I recommend you get the Commercial Plan ($67 one time) so you get access to the reface/faceswap feature, plus the Enterprise upgrade ($67 one time), so you can reface with your own picture and get up to 2,000 characters.
(30-day money back guarantee)
TalkingFaces is best for people who want to humanize their websites and landing pages.
- Create and reface. When you grab the commercial plan, you get access to their re-facing technology, which allows you to create humatars with your own face! Add your humatar to your sales pages and websites to humanize your sales process and create a deeper connection with your audience.
- It’s marketing-ready. TalkingFaces comes equipped with buttons for your calls to action, forms for you to collect leads, and even timers so you can add scarcity. Use your humatar to convert more visitors.
- Your humatars can talk, and they sound natural. TalkingFaces comes with the Synthesys voice technology, and they’ll say what you type. The speech quality is mind-blowing. It sounds like a real human.
- Speak in 254+ languages. Instead of learning how to speak 254+ languages, you can create your own humatar with TalkingFaces, then use Google and Azure text-to-speech technology. Now, your humatar can speak in all kinds of languages, like Bengali, Catalan, and Ukrainian.
- Perfect lip sync. When you get the Enterprise add-on ($67 one time), you can record and upload your own voice, your humatar will perfectly lip-sync to what you’re saying. Quick and easy.
TalkingFaces offers two pricing plans:
- Personal: $57 one time, with no refacing capabilities.
- Commercial: $67 one time (with coupon code TFSALE), with refacing capabilities.
On top of these basic plans, you can also stack these five add-ons:
- Pro: $67 one time for extra humatar actors and voices, and unlimited refaces.
- Enterprise: $67 one time for the ability to upload photos for refacing, and audio for lip-syncing.
- Todd’s Voice: $97 one time for you to use Todd Gross’ Emmy award-winning voice.
- Agency Lite: $97 one time for up to 25 sub-accounts.
- Agency Unlimited: $197 one time for unlimited sub-accounts.
All paid plans have a 30-day money back guarantee.
Try TalkingFaces today for a one-time fee.
Our Verdict — Best Mobile Option
Price: Starts for free
Reface is a fun, quick, and easy deepfake video app. It generates cool face swaps in seconds, and since it’s right on your phone, it’s super easy to share your videos.
The Best Part:
Daily updates. Reface gets updated every single day, with a ton of new media you can use. You’ll never run out of new videos, pictures or gifs to create and share.
The Worst Part:
Too many ads in the free plan. The free version comes with some limited features, which I can understand, but the main problem is too many ads. It gets annoying, and sometimes it can even get in the way of a button.
Get it if you want to have a quick laugh with face swaps, right from your Android or iOS phone.
I recommend you get started with the free plan, then sign up for the Pro plan for $3.99/mo.
Reface is best for people who want to create deepfake videos for kicks and giggles, right out of their mobile phones.
- It’s freaking fast. Reface can create face swaps in a few seconds, no matter what kind of media you’re working with. You take one single selfie, and you’re ready to get it going.
- Something new everyday. Your app will get updated every single day, with a ton of new media you can use. You’ll never run out of new videos, pictures or gifs to create and share. Get Marvel movie characters, k-pop stars, Hollywood actors, and much more.
- Ready, click, share. Sharing your work is as simple as it gets. Once your face swap is done, you get the option to share it on all popular social media sites in a couple of clicks.
- Nice free plan. If you can ignore all the annoying ads, you can actually do a few face swaps every day, until the app locks you out for the day.
- Cool little features like live face swaps or gender swaps will keep you and your friends busy for a while.
Reface offers three pricing options:
- Weekly: $2.49/week.
- Monthly: $3.99/month.
- Yearly: $24.99/year.
Try Reface today with the free plan.
What are the Best Deepfake Apps for Android & iPhone?
Deepfake mobile apps are straightforward but won't give you the most realistic results, especially with video. Almost anyone with a smartphone can use them, and they don't require you to have any background knowledge in coding.
Deepfake desktop software, on the other hand, is harder to use. But, you get much more flexibility and creative freedom in what you can do with your videos than the limited capabilities of simplified apps.
Above we went over the best deepfake software. Below we have listed the best deepfake apps for Android & iPhone that you can use to mimic real people on your phone.
Zao — best for movie characters
Zao, a free Chinese deepfake face swapping app for iOS and Android, topped the app store charts shortly after its release in 2019 and can automatically paint its likeness on famous actors in movies and TV clips.
- Featuring impressive processing speed and accuracy.
- Zao works by scanning an uploaded image and transposing it onto the chosen character, fully animating the user as the character moves.
- Deepfake technology has enabled users to become stars and swap places with Marilyn Monore, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory in seconds.
Platform: Android & iOS
Wombo — best for lip syncing
Wombo boasts of being the world's best AI-driven lip-syncing app and can pretty much make any photo sing.
- The Deepfake service is easy to use, and anyone can participate in the growing trend of synthetic media.
- You take a selfie, select a character's frontal image, and upload it to the app.
- The app offers a variety of character images and allows you to unlock several customizable feeds with just a few clicks.
Platform: Android & iOS
Price: Free; $4.49 a month or $29.99 a year.
FaceApp — best for selfie photo editing
FaceApp generates incredibly realistic transformations of human faces from photos, adding an imprint, makeup, smile, hair colors, age, beard, filters, backgrounds, and more to the uploaded image.
Considered by many the best face photo editor app for iOS and Android. However, this deepfake tool is unique in the way it operates.
Instead of relying on basic image editing to apply smiling teeth lines to your grimacing face, the app uses innovative AI technology to flip your frown upside down and make you look a little more cheerful.
Platform: Android & iOS
Price: Free; $19.99 for a lifetime subscription; $1.99 for a monthly subscription or $9.99 for a yearly subscription.
Face Swap Live — best for video face swaps
Face Swap Live, which made a splash with its ingenuity, allows users to swap their faces with another person in real time and create videos with a range of live filters via the device's camera.
Unlike other face swap apps that can only use static photos, Face Swap Live swaps faces directly from the camera's video feed.
You can choose from preloaded images or search for a specific image you want to convert. Still, it lacks a bit of precision as the edited images can look unnatural.
Platform: Android & iOSPrice: $0.99 for iOS, $1.99 for Android.
Deep Art Effects — best for artists
Deep Art Effects is a collaboration between humans, machines, and the concept of art that differs from boring transition filters.
- The tool, available for desktop and mobile devices, uses an advanced AI algorithm to replace faces from images with authentic and stylistic quality output.
- Deep Art Effects is not only a deepfake app but also an AI image enhancement solution that transforms ordinary photos, selfies, and even video clips into beautiful works of art.
Platform: Desktop, Android & iOSPrice: $9.90 for one month; $25 for 3 months; $80 for one year; or $129 one-time payment.
MyHeritage Deep Nostalgia — best for family photos
MyHeritage is a genealogy website that has a deepfake feature called Deep Nostalgia. It allows you to see your ancestors come to life right before your eyes.
This software recently blew up on social media for its fascinating ability to bring old family photos to life through small eyes, lips, and face movements.
It’s easy to use, uses real/authentic human gestures, and you can see the results in seconds. You must create a free account before you can animate your photos, and the app is limited to creating small movements in photos.
Platform: Desktop, Android & iOSPricing: Free.
Our Top Three Picks
Here’s a quick summary of our top three picks:
- DeepSwap — best of the best
- FaceSwap — best bang for the buck
- TalkingFaces — best for people with websites
Here’s a quick comparison of our top seven picks:
Starts at $9.99/mo
Starts at $47 (one time)
Starts at $57 (one time)
Starts at $2.49/wk
MyHeritage Deep Nostalgia
Starts at $15/video
Here are the top 50 deepfake software tools we considered in this review:
- DeepFace Lab
- Deepfakes Web
- Instagram DeepFake Bot
- Deepfake Studio
- Celebrity Face Morph
- Way2Lip Model
- Face Swap Live app
- Face Swap by Microsoft
- Face Swap (Android)
- Face Swap Booth
- SneakPic Deepfake
- Face Switch
- Copy Replace Face Photo Editor
- MyHeritage Deep Nostalgia
- DALL-E Mini
- Fake You
- Facelab Old Face
- Deepface app
What is a deepfake?
A deepfake is a video or image where someone’s face has been replaced by another person. Deepfakes have been getting a lot of attention lately because they mimic real people and make them say or do things they never did. Experts say it can be used to undermine democracy, spread misinformation, and even completely change our perception of what is accurate or inaccurate - but some of us want to make memes.
What is deepfake technology?
The technology behind deepfakes is called generative adversarial networks (GANs). GANs use two neural nets: one generates fake images, while the other tries to spot the fakeness. This process happens simultaneously, which makes for some pretty convincing results.
How long does it take to make a deepfake?
5 seconds with basic mobile apps to 5 minutes with robust deepfake tools that need a lot of processing power. The time varies depending on what deep learning algorithm and deepfake tool is being used. These days you can access advanced deepfake features through online deepfake software, using 3rd parties to generate close to perfect deepfakes in anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes.
How does deepfake software work?
A deepfake video needs artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning models to work. The technique called generative adversarial network (GAN) uses one advanced machine learning model to create the fake videos, and the AI analyzes the output to detect if the video looks counterfeit or not.
GAN does better when it has a large data set to work with. That’s why much of the deepfakes tend to feature celebrities and politicians, because there are many videos on the internet that GAN can use to create realistic deepfakes.
The Bottom Line
Here are our top picks for the best deepfake software to try this year: